[Mldonkey-users] Re: Mldonkey-users Digest, Vol 11, Issue 8

From: Jeff Sault
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Mldonkey-users Digest, Vol 11, Issue 8
Date: 13 Oct 2003 19:55:53 +0100

More FAT32 concerns...the list goes on ;)

I have been running mld for quite a while now and had tweaked it to
maximize performance - i was getting, on average, around 40k/s on a 512
ADSL pipe. At this time my linux box was running mld and saving the
files to a smb share on my (much faster) WinXp box.

Since then Ive had a re-shuffle and moved hard disks around and finally
managed to get rid of windoze (woohoo!). The main hard drive is now in a
new linux box which is roughly the same spec as before but its still a
FAT32 filesystem (all my mp3's etc were on there and i dont have enough
storage to back them up).

So now, in the new box, with the same distro (Redhat 9), same version of
mld (2.5-3), same config and the same ports forwarded to it, I get, on
average, less than 10k/sec!!!

Has anyone else come across this? does FAT32 chew up CPU cycles like
there no tomorrow? My mld box is only a PII-300mhz but so was the last
one!

either that or does anyone have a tool to NON-DESTRUCTIVELY convert a
FAT fs to a ext2/3 fs?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff