Re: [Mldonkey-users] gtk2 gui

From: vnc
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] gtk2 gui
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:32:09 +0200

Hi,

> Please don't tell me about that java gui, it's not what I would like
> Perhaps someone is even considering writing a brand new gtk2 gui using C code?

first: I'm the one who is responsible for the choice of java and SWT in "G2gui".
Flame me ;)

Now tell me _exactly_ what you don't like about java. It is very important to
note that we're not using any swing widget at all, instead we use SWT, the
Standard Widget Toolkit which uses native widgets.
Actually it uses GTK2 on the unix/linux side, so there you have your GTK2-GUI
:).

It will be compiled with GCJ to get native speeds and size (no runtime lib
needed),
so no disadvantage there.

Plus, there are many skilled java-developers and coding in java is
more convenient and secure than coding in C/C++. It also supports the needed
cross-platform abilities and is highly scalable.
Oh, and we already have some code :).

This seemed to be the best choice.

-VNC
(mldonkey-world, mldonkey.net)