Re: [Mldonkey-users] MLdonkey ed2k protocol handler for Mozilla

From: Simon Peter
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] MLdonkey ed2k protocol handler for Mozilla
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:52:54 +0200

> In the meantime, one can try to use protozilla for this (
> http://protozilla.mozdev.org/ ). It's pretty easy to hack the original
> "kde-protocol-handler" included in mldonkey-cvs to fit this purpose.
> But the last time i tried protozilla, it fscked my mozilla. So don't
> say i didn't warn you :)

yeah. That was the way i used to get ed2k:// links to MLdonkey with
Mozilla. But protozilla crashed my Mozilla every time since i upgraded
it to 1.3 and in the meantime, it also made its way on the top list of
inactive projects on mozdev.org, so i don't count on anything new in
this field... ...despite the additional fact, that i consider protozilla
much too bloated for such a simple task. ;)

> But when it worked, it even did so for those javascript-using
> multi-links one can find on some sites of ... "collections"

I'm working on this. It's only a matter of getting MLdonkey's response
into a new browser window or something similar. The only problem is that
the multi-add javascripts do the trick by changing the URL of the
current page every few ticks to the next ed2k:// link, which works with
other edonkey-link-add-tools that provide feedback in another window or
have no feedback at all, but with my handler, Mozilla opens MLdonkey's
response page in the current window, which of course throws away the
javascript of the last page.

I dunno if there can be something done about it cause i don't know if
mozilla expects my handler to return at least some data for the current
window to change the page when an ed2k:// link is visited. I'm working
this out at the moment...

...and then, a much easier way would be to beg the javascript-using
multilink sites to modify their scripts. ;)

Simon