[Mldonkey-users] prioritizing

From: Brett Dikeman
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] prioritizing
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:41:42 -0500

At 3:18 AM +0100 2/27/03, Pierre Etchemaite wrote:

I have an idea for a protocol extension (I know, it may not be the best
moment ;) )

In my humble opinion, no, it's not a good time- the priority should be on basic functionality and fixing bugs, then(and only then) adding new and exciting features.

I'd suggest that those of us who can't develop, help out by making sure bugs are promptly and effectively entered into the bug tracking system (http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs?group=mldonkey), and that we help test each new cvs release. 'Test' means checking for functionality and making sure bugs that developers thought they fixed actually IS fixed. It does not mean "report how many kB/sec you get to the mailing list" :-)

Those that CAN develop, go look at the bug tracking system, and see if you can't pick off a couple(there are over a hundred currently entered!); work off the latest CVS, make a patch, test it, throw it out to general public(make sure you name it with the bug # somewhere) with lots of information(what it fixes, how to test for what it fixes, how to tell if it worked, etc). If it survives, great- it gets thrown into cvs, and there's already a good chance it works properly.

This is basically what Pierre does with his patches, right?

A few suggestions for bug reports:

-do NOT submit bugs anonymously! More information might be needed, your help might be required to test for the problem to see if it's been fixed by a patch/new CVS version, etc.

-make SURE the bug hasn't been reported already.

-make SURE you're using the latest version from CVS.

-make SURE you read "how to report bugs effectively" (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html) It is chock full of very good suggestions(several of which I need to follow myself...)

Brett