Re: [Mldonkey-users] RFC: QueryZonesMd4 / QueryZonesMd4Reply

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] RFC: QueryZonesMd4 / QueryZonesMd4Reply
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:19:56 +0100

Le Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:03:02 +0100, MLdonkey <address@hidden> a écrit
:

> I think Emule proposes something very close. I have to look at the
> sources, but it might already be available there.

Last time I looked at the source (0.24b ?), the "ICH" implementation was
much simpler. When a chunk validation fails, the chunk is discarded, but not
its data. The redownload progressively overwrites the data, and chunk hash
is recomputed each time some data is received. Once the broken bytes have
been overwritten, the hash should be correct, and the redownload stopped.

Maybe that was improved since then, or I didn't look in the right place ;)

> But you then also
> have to compute the md4s twice when you want to share a file...

On my proposal, this is done on demand, to avoid computing and storing lots
of subhashes that may never be used...

BR,
Pierre.