Re: [Mldonkey-users] My 2.02-10 crashed too....

From: Klaus Imgrund
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] My 2.02-10 crashed too....
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:30:56 +0000

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:53:50 +0100
Sergio Bayarri Gausi <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Well might be something completely different but 2.02-11 crashes my
> > xserver after about an hour. Everything including keyboard is gone then.
>
> Strange, were you using the GUI? Are you running mldonkey as root?
>
> If mldonkey is running as a "normal" user, it should never crash the
> system.
>
> It sounds more like a hardware problem: bad memory, cpu fan not working...
> mldonkey would just "stress" the system, making the problem appear.
>
> For example, if the problem is that the cpu fan is not working properly,
> when the system is "quiet" (low load), you should not notice it. But if
> the load increases (because of a "busy" process), the cpu temperature
> might go higher. If the fan can't cool it, the system will eventually
> crash.
>
> The same goes for the memory: if it's not intensively used, you might not
> detect it's faulty.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Sergio

I think its something software related that doesn't necessarily has to do with
mldonkey.
Can encode movies and work with gimp at the same time for hours w/o any trouble
at all and CPU at 100%.
It's been running for 2 hrs. now and up/downloading at rates I haven't seen in
a long time and is connecting to servers immidiately where 2.02 stable wouldn't
connect at all and didn't download more than 2 or 3 mb over 24 hrs. with the
same netconnection.
I guess I got something flakey in xfree or kde.
I'll go and recompile those one of these days.
Only posted it in case somebody else has the same trouble.

Greetings and thanks,

Klaus