mldonkey-devel

Re: [Mldonkey-devel] None

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-devel] None
Date: 07 Mar 2003 19:14:00 +0100

Thomas Lussnig <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> >>are not so many mldonkey clients running (5000 clients at most,
> >>connecting once a day, 1 req/20s)
> >>

> >For apache access.log file for today (rotated on a daily basis), for
> >the file server.met, we are at _25729_ request!!
> >
> There are two things wrong.
> 1. I do not belive that most clients realy rune 24 hours, I think that
> they are more often restarted.
> 2. Spezial the server.met wich is an portable format is downloaded by
> more than only mlDonkey
> - eMule / ed2k_gui direct support adding http urls for download them.
> - wget is another often used source for download or mirroring
>
> because of this facts i think that the met file is more often
> downlaoded than the rest of the config files.

Maybe, but reading the logs files do not lead to think in this way, as
the server.met is almost everytime downloaded along with the others
file from the same client.

> There are may free webspace with 10MB Storage and about 2-5 GB or
> even unlimited traffic. Wich are financed by comercial adverts wich
> may be used for this files.
>
> >(result of cat /var/log/apache-ssl/access.log | grep .met | nl)
> >As mldonkey download 4 files, it means 102916 request, for a day.
> > Can you guess what it means for an http server?
> It depends on the other requests and how the server is optimized.

It do not depends: for Savannah, it's unacceptable that a project
generate so much requests which are not even part of development.

> Mean around 1 request per second. BUT if i look at my own server.met
> wich is 125kb This mean 3,8GB extra traffic per Month wich is here
> in Germany around 20EUR And this for only one project.

I looked on the log at 12:12:40 (server time) and I believe logs are
rotated near from 06:00:00.

I think that you can x2 to get a better picture.

> >Can you also advertise from now, asking people to skip this part. 403
> >error still generate heavy load.
> >
> I informed the other project developers so that they also do stop
> using the files from this server.

It means that it's hardcoded everywhere?
If not, people have to be informed.

--
Mathieu Roy