mit-scheme-users

[MIT-Scheme-users] out of memory - mersenne primes

From: antiloquax
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-users] out of memory - mersenne primes
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 05:59:11 -0800 (PST)

I am still a beginner at Scheme, so help would be appreciated!
I've written a little program to do the miller-rabin primality test.
I was testing it out using some mersenne primes.
When I chose a value over M22 (2^9941) -1, I the program crashed with an out
of memory error.
I am running on a Linux PC with 4gb RAM and a 4gb swap partition.
It seemed to me that the virtual memory was not being used.
Is there something I can alter in my program to make this work, or is there
any way to get scheme to cope with this sort of thing?
(code attached)
:)

http://old.nabble.com/file/p34792966/miller-rabin.scm miller-rabin.scm