mit-scheme-devel

Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] [commit 13b5bca] Fix new build to cross from 9.1.

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] [commit 13b5bca] Fix new build to cross from 9.1.1.
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 02:14:05 +0000

   commit 13b5bca2b7981cf00afb8308a73aa5adfa34548d
   Author: Matt Birkholz <address@hidden>
   Date:   Sat Oct 12 18:17:44 2013 -0700

    Fix new build to cross from 9.1.1.

    Unlike a cross compile, a cross runtime was not used by this build(?).
    Use a new compile-cross-runtime target and --fasl make.com to make
    tools/syntaxer.com.

Please back out this change.  The structure I put in place, where the
cross-compiler and cross-syntaxer run in the host runtime and not in
the target runtime, is absolutely intentional, and necessary to get a
sane bootstrap and sane cross-build.

The target called cref-kludgerous-runtime was so named because nothing
in Makefile.tools should refer to runtime/, but currently there's no
way to refer to the host Scheme's runtime-*.pkd.  To work around that,
we pretend that the target Scheme's runtime.pkg describes the host's
runtime accurately enough for compiler, cref, sf, and star-parser.

The correct fix to the problem you observed is attached.