Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Error on first builsd: unable to download qt-

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Error on first builsd: unable to download qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.7.tar.gz
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 20:23:56 +1100

Please read about CC’ing mailing lists and inline posting.

> On 18 Oct 2019, at 19:13, James Garner <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> OK, I did manually update the qt.mk and qtbase.mk files, and looking at
> qtbase.mk, I missed the line continuation character. I corrected this and
> both qt and qtbase built with a 'make --jobs=4 --keep-going' command..
>
> The others failed to build again.

I expected them to, some are happening on other systems and one has been
subsequently fixed (see below).

Please run the command from my last email, using JOBS=1 will help me compare
the log with a known working build using `diff` - there’s only so much one can
review with eyeballs.

Also note from my first reply, you should start with a subset of packages (like
`qt5`) till you become more comfortable with how mxe works and fits with
QtCreator etc. These package failures are largely unrelated to that goal.

> I did not do a 'git pull' on then project. The git command I used to download
> the project was the very first time (and only time) I used git... Until 2017
> version, M$dev did not use git at all, and even now, that it can use it, it
> defaults to something else, so I am a complete neophyte with git.?? That
> being said, I went out to the git site and read the man pages... still not
> sure how to format the commnd, as the user manual included with git only
> talks about git fetch, and git pull seems to be a combination of 3 git fetch
> calls...
>
> I believe the proper command is simply git pull [remote-repository-location]
>
> but since this WILL alter my local code base, I am reticent to pull this
> trigger without some additional confirmation that I understand it correctly.

Do read up up on `git`, you can safely pull changes and reset them after you’ve
reviewed them. You can also fetch them and not update your local working copy -
git is very flexible and can suit many workflows.

> NOTE that I downloaded the project on Oct 12 (2019), pulling the latest
> stable. If the change you mentioned (version 2.0.1) was older than that,
> should I not have received that code with my initial fetch?

The `vcdimager` change was made on the 13th [1], once you become accustomed to
`git` you won’t have to worry about such things.

Cheers,

Tony

[1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/commit/7c28b648226a95f165f582268d6b1979443942cf