Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Capnproto cros compilation for windows 32-bit

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Capnproto cros compilation for windows 32-bit using mxe
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 10:50:15 +1100

> On 15 Feb 2017, at 00:26, Jack Kumba <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I compiled the light (static) version of capnproto using mxe with the
> following commands:
> ./configure --with-external-capnp --host=i686-w64-mingw32.static
> --target=i686-w64-mingw32.static --enable-static --disable-shared
> --disable-reflection

You don’t need to specify `--target=` unless you are building the toolchain
(binutils/gcc) itself. Normal libraries and apps only need `—-host=`.

> and then,
> make
>
> this gives me the capnproto static libs in .libs directory in the capnproto
> source directory.
>
> Now, I want to cross compile another project that statically links capnproto
> as well as other libraries (one of them is boost that I cross compiled using
> mxe). my question is can i just copy the capnproto static libs directly from
> the .libs repository in capnproto sources to the mxe cross-compiled library
> location /home/jack/mxe/mxe/usr/i686-w64-mingw32.static/lib folder?

You can, but you are probably better off adding
`—-prefix=/home/jack/mxe/mxe/usr/i686-w64-mingw32.static`
to `configure` and running `make install`.

> In this case, my project would detect it automatically?

It’s hard to say, the standard lib paths will find any manually specified
`-lcapnproto -lfoo` etc. but
if you haven’t run `make install` then the components required for automatic
detection (a `capnproto.pc`
or FindCapnProto.cmake file) won’t be available.

Cheers,