Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] x86_64-w64-mingw32.shared => exiv2

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] x86_64-w64-mingw32.shared => exiv2
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:30:27 +1000

On 10 Jun 2014, at 00:28, Jos De Laender <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can someone give me some help with respect to exiv2 with the target as in
> subject.
>
> Many, many packages compile fine under it (including graphicsmagick and qt)
> but it fails on a (relative) simple one as exiv2.
>
> It seems just nothing is generated ([nobuild]).
>
> Does someone know what's going on and/or how I can assist in trying to find
> the issue ?

Shared builds are still very much a work-in-progress, roughly half[1] the
packages haven’t had their shared builds enabled yet. Sometimes it’s a simple
matter of replacing "build,host,prefix,[en|dis]able-[static|shared]" with
"$(MXE_CONFIGURE_OPTS)” (e.g. src/expat.mk), but it really depends on the build
system. exiv2 requires a workaround for libtool’s detection of shared libs:

https://github.com/mxe/mxe/commit/f4202755f56e4062d64fce3c731e0db4c2c695ff

which isn’t ideal and we don’t want to enable many more like that without some
greater understanding and cleaner solutions. There are a few open tickets (375,
393, 408) relating to shared builds, if you have some input on those or general
knowledge about the intricacies of shared builds (declspec header macros,
pkg-config files, libtool setup, linker options, autotools install locations
...), it would be very helpful. Maybe a wiki page to consolidate all this
before adding it to the docs?

Cheers,

Tony

[1]