Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gtk3 and gtkmm3

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gtk3 and gtkmm3
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 14:14:28 +1100

On 23 Feb 2014, at 08:49, Gerardo Ballabio <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm thinking about compiling a binary that one can download and run on
> Windows without having to install any dependencies separately, if
> that's what you mean by static builds.

Yes, that’s usually the preferred way unless there’s some sort of plugin or
process architecture that makes static libs unfeasible.

> 2011 was indeed a long time ago. Gtk+ 3 was new and everything was
> still running on version 2. Now Gtk+ 2 is legacy software, I think it
> still gets bugfix releases, but Gtk+ 3 is where new developments are
> happening.

I just checked through the sources for v3, and there’s still this:

AC_MSG_WARN([Disabling static library build, must build as DLL on Windows.])

It goes uphill from there as the build system doesn’t seem to be really set up
for cross builds and requires more native tools to be installed.

> I don't know how much interest is there, but I'm definitely interested.

We’d certainly be happy to include it in MXE once it’s working, but I don’t
think anyone has the time to make that happen. It’s still not even clear if the
current Gtk2 works for larger or more complex projects, so while you can use
that for pointers on how to get it going, it may not be fully functional in the
end.

Cheers,