[Mingw-cross-env-list] mxe-conf.cmake CMAKE_AR

From: Matthias Gehre
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mxe-conf.cmake CMAKE_AR
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:59:07 +0200

Hi list,

the commit e57db6d8c9c7ecbe43dd1fdb3d17f07871dfc9fb Move
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE, CMAKE_AR and CMAKE_RANLIB into toolchain file
breaks compilation with cmake for me.
For example llvm says:
  The C++ compiler
  "/home/mgehre/Projects/lightspark/mxe/usr/bin/i686-pc-mingw32-g++" is not
  able to compile a simple test programs
(see attached log)

When I remove CMAKE_AR from
usr/i686-pc-mingw32/share/cmake/mxe-conf.cmake, llvm builds as
expected.

Further investigation shows, that
with CMAKE_AR in mxe-conf.cmake, I get an empty CMAKE_AR in llvm's
CMakeCache.txt.
without CMAKE_AR in mxe-conf.cmake, I get the right path in  CMAKE_AR
in llvm's CMakeCache.txt.

This issue has already been discussed here:
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2010-March/035540.html
The gist is: Setting CMAKE_AR stops cmake from doing some necessary
initialzation.

I wonder what made the commit necessary? CMakeCache already contains
the correct CMAKE_AR without setting it in mxe-conf.cmake
explicitly on my machine.

Best wishes
Matthias