Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-w64 and mingw-cross-env

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-w64 and mingw-cross-env
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:43:40 +1100

On 21 March 2012 07:24, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> I didn't ever see a build script  which checks for the
> VENDOR part of the target. However, some helper scripts
> like config.guess might have trouble with "mingw" instead
> of "mingw32",

binutils doesn't recognise mingw, so we may have to stick with mingw32.

> or with the pseudo vendor string
> (static/dynamic). Also, what's with Qt/QMake and with
> CMake? We should really check that.

qmake.conf references i686-pc-mingw32 specifically, but its really
just to find prefixed executables and should be easy to replace
inline.

The CMake toolchain file should be fine, but will need to be created
in a target specific location in the future.

> On the other hand, what are the alternatives? I believe
> that a TARGET like "i686-static-mingw" will cause less
> trouble than, say, something like "i686-pc-mingw32static".
>
> Any ideas? Any volunteers to make test builds with the
> new TARGET strings?

I really like the idea of re-purposing the VENDOR part, it's hard to
imagine that anything would actually change behaviour based on "-pc-",
the only real issue can be that anything else is unrecognised.

I'll run a few different strings and see what happens.

Cheers,