Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] libiberty.a has gone?

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] libiberty.a has gone?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:13:34 +0100

Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:
> On 14/03/12 10:20, Volker Grabsch wrote:
> >Indeed, this sounds like a GCC bug. Would you mind raising that
> >question on the GCC and/or mailing list, and inform us about what
> >you found out?
>
> Just one reply:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.help/40877

Thanks for raising this issue there. Although this is answer
is quite short, it is very helpful nevertheless. [1]

I'm now working on this, but I have some questions to you,
and Christian Ohm, and everyone else working with libiberty:

1) Libiberty is not distributed on its own, but as part
   of GCC and Binutils. Which one's libiberty should we use?

   (I observerd that binutils-0.22/libiberty is more complete
    than gcc-4.6.3/libiberty, so I'd prefer Binutils. But I
    could be wrong. I'll use whatever works best for you.)

2) Libiberty comes with multiple headers:

   | ansidecl.h demangle.h dyn-string.h fibheap.h floatformat.h
   | hashtab.h libiberty.h objalloc.h partition.h safe-ctype.h
   | sort.h splay-tree.h

   Should we install all of them, or do we need just libiberty.h?

   (Note: This is related to the next question.)

3) Libiberty's configure/Makefile are designed to install
   the headers into some subdirectory, i.e.

   | .../include/SOME/MORE/DIRS/*.h

   I could trick it by using "." as subdirectory, but that's
   quite a hack: For instance, the empty string won't work, and
   in this libiberty will refuse to install its headers. I guess
   libiberty doesn't want to install directly into include/.

   So I wonder if we should put the libiberty headers into
   a subdirectory like this:

   | usr/TARGET/include/libiberty/*.h

   But maybe I'm too cautious here, and we should install libiberty
   directly into:

   | usr/TARGET/include/*.h

   What's the appropriate place, in your opinion?

Regards,
Volker

[1] It makes clear what strategy we'll have to use: We'll have
    to be prepared that the automatically installed libiberty
    headers won't be installed by future GCC versions. And we'll
    have to compile and install those separately.

--
Volker Grabsch