Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Proposal: libgnurx.mk and file.mk

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Proposal: libgnurx.mk and file.mk
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 23:59:39 +1100

Moritz Bunkus <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> 2. file/magic:
>
> In order to build libmagic an executable of 'file' is needed that can
> be run on the building machine (necessary for generation of the
> magic.mgc file). This requires that the version of the 'file'
> executable matches the version of the library we're trying to build.
>
> Therefore file.mk first builds a non-cross compiled version of 'file'
> and saves it. Then it re-runs configure with --host set and compiles &
> installs the whole package.
>
> The patch is needed for two reasons: First, magic/Makefile.am has to
> use the locally built 'file' executable. Second, configure seems not
> to think that it's being cross-compiled for some reason. Therefore I
> had to hardcode this in magic/Makefile.am as well.

Hi mosu,

I was having some issues building this, so I made a few changes:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/0dcc824fc36e

-use separate native build dir
-remove patch and use Make variable instead
-add test program
-use --build="`config.guess`" to stop wine confusing cross-compile detection

Can you check if this still works for your project?

Thanks,