Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-w64 and mingw-cross-env

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-w64 and mingw-cross-env
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 11:13:43 +0100

William schrieb:
> - mingw-cross-env is great because there are already hundreds of
> already supported cross-compiled packages, and a nice tutorial to
> get started. It is easy to use : download, then run "make"
> - mingw-w64 is great because you can compile either 64 or 32 bits
> windows binaries, and it is easy to switch from 32 to 64.
> [...]
> A merge of the projects seems not easy. [...]

There are already two plans in mingw-cross-env you should
know about, to avoid duplicate work.

First, we are indeed willing to switch from MinGW to MinGW-w64
even for 32-Bit, but there were some issues preventing us from
doing that. (see emails from Tony Theodore on mingw-cross-env-list
who analyzed that some time ago)

Second, we'll support a multi-target build system in the near
future. That means, mingw-cross-env will be able to build a
MinGW toolchain for 32-bit as well as a MinGW-w64 toolchain
for 64-bit. There may even be separate toolchains for
completely-shared-library and completely-static-library.

And there might even come an OSX cross toolchain, in which
case we'll have to think about renaming the "mingw-cross-env"
project to something more generic.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet got around to evaluate the
existing code (especially Tony's experimental work) and to
adjust our main Makefile accordingly.

However, I'll take this discussion as a sign to hurry up
with that, so we'll be able to integrate works on 64-bit,
shared-library-build and OSX-builds in the near future.

Merging those forks back into mingw-cross-env is IMHO
definitely the way to go.

Regards,

Volker Grabsch