[Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating config.[guess|sub]

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating config.[guess|sub]
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:02:48 +1000

Hello,

Debian kFreeBSD and DragonFlyBSD require more recent
config.[guess|sub] files in a few packages (10 or so last time I
checked). There are a couple of ways I tried to achieve this:

1. autoreconf --force --install. This mostly works, but can cause
problems (sometimes on other systems) when the installed version of
autotools is much later than the one that package is using. It also
doesn't have any way to notify us that the files have been updated in
future releases so we can remove the step.

2. Create patches to update the files. This works well, but the patch
files are fairly large since they basically replace the whole file. It
also has the nice property that the patch will fail after upstream
updates, so can be removed when no longer necessary.

3. Save the files in src (or tools?) and copy them into the build
directories as needed. It should be easy enough to make this fail if
the target files are newer, so the workaround can be easily removed.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions about the best way to
do this? I'm leaning towards the third option, as it seems the
cleanest, 2 is probably the easiest, and I'd rather avoid 1 if
possible.

Thanks,