Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Similarities between Mingw-cross-env, *BSD Po

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Similarities between Mingw-cross-env, *BSD Ports, and Gentoo Portage
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:56:23 +0200

Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:
> On 07/10/2011 04:47 PM, Volker Grabsch wrote:
> >
> >It is often hard enough to reproduce issues where everyone runs
> >exactly the same (full-featured) build. Allowing that kind of
> >flexibility would result in bug reports (and the need to invest
> >time to fix those) for many different configurations. And for what?
> >Just for saving a few hundred KB in the output *.exe files?
>
> Oh, it's more than a few kB.  I was able to cut the size from over
> 20MB to 8MB.  This also included building everything with
> "-fdata-sections -ffunction-sections" and using a patched binutils
> to link with "--gc-sections" to do dead code stripping.

That's impressive, indeed. Were you able to cut that down further
using UPX?

Anyway, the other issues I mentioned remain. So feel free to continue
the discussion on those points. Perhaps I'm just overlooking a way
how to provide more flexibility without running into a maintenance
nightmare.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch