Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Solving the Pthreads issue

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Solving the Pthreads issue
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 05:41:19 +0200

David Bruce <address@hidden> schrieb:
> Success - the crossbuild of tuxtype now has working sound.

Thanks for testing!

> One question - tuxtype itself doesn't use pthreads, but tuxmath
> optionally uses pthreads in one place.  Is there a safe cross-platform
> way to do this, or do I have to use some sort of conditional
> compilation #ifdefs to use pthreads on Linux and windows threads in
> the mingw-cross-env crossbuild?

You should first try with Pthreads. Maybe you're lucky and it
just works for you.

Using #ifdefs for Pthreads / Win32 API is the usual alternative.

A third way would be to use GNU Pth. The project sounds very
promising, although (or even because) it doesn't provide "real"
multithreading:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/

Note that Pth is currently not part of mingw-cross-env, but I'd
add it if there's a need for it.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch
Administrator