Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] new package: freeimage

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] new package: freeimage
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:52:03 +0100

> 1)  The build failed immediately, because the patch didn't work.
>     The patch is for Makefile.gnu which is a DOS text file, and
>     somehow the patch didn't contain any CRs, so it didn't match
>     any line. Maybe the CRs were stripped the the email client
>     or server? Anyway, I fixed it by manually adding CRs:

I hadn't considered this issue.

I don't really like the idea of having to worry about invisible
end-of-line conventions in patch files. I have enough trouble with
copyright headers. :)  Since we only patch text files, maybe it would be
better to keep the patches  as unix text files that can be applied to
unix text files. Before applying the patch, we would run dos2unix on the
file target if necessary.  What do you think about that?

> 2)  The download URL was not the "real" one, but redirected by
>     SourceForge. During redirection, SourceForge changes the
>     mirror randomly, usually resulting in an unappropriate (i.e.
>     slow) one. In order to retain control about which mirror is
>     used, we always need the "real" download URL:

Right. I see you handled the version number pretty gracefully too.

> 3)  The FreeImage package contains the sources of many image libraries
>     which are already part of mingw-cross-env. Is it possible to make
>     FreeImage use those instead of baking its own ones?

Perhaps these are modified sources or could become modified sources
without warning. I really don't know. This raises a philosophical
question. Would it still be FreeImage if we did that?

Are there strong arguments for doing this?

> Finally, I added the version recognition.
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/8d8d919a2167

Great thanks.

-Mark