Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Should binary files built with the same optio

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Should binary files built with the same options be identical?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:02:55 +0100

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> Their behaviour is identical (not saying much), size in
> bytes is the same, but they have different hashes. Looking at binary diffs
> and a hex editor, there seem to be about 2-5 bytes in each file that are
> different. Is this the expected behaviour? Should I be chasing down quirks
> in my build systems?

It could be some kind of timestamp and/or debug information. I never
expected such binaries to be identical, but it would nevertheless
be interesting to know where exactly the differences come from.

> This may be a little off topic, but I can't find a definitive answer, and am
> hoping the experience of the list can enlighten.

Maybe another person on this list has some experience on that?

Greets,

Volker Grabsch
Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR