[Mingw-cross-env-list] Should binary files built with the same options b

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Should binary files built with the same options be identical?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:47:24 +1100

This may be a little off topic, but I can't find a definitive answer, and am hoping the experience of the list can enlighten.

I was just testing some executables produced by mingw-cross-env running on freebsd and ubuntu. Their behaviour is identical (not saying much), size in bytes is the same, but they have different hashes. Looking at binary diffs and a hex editor, there seem to be about 2-5 bytes in each file that are different. Is this the expected behaviour? Should I be chasing down quirks in my build systems?

They are so close, and I'd like to test the outputs from only one system, then compare the hashes from the others. Most of what I've read indicates the output should be "identical", but I'm not sure if that means byte-for-byte.