Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Makefiles changes to help testing

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Makefiles changes to help testing
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:21:40 +0100

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> 2009/12/11 Volker Grabsch <address@hidden>
> > 1) moving logs out of usr
> >
> >    What is the purpose of that? In how far does it help testing?
> > [...]
>
> Even without a "make clean", the log for the failing package is deleted if I
> don't remember to copy it out, which I was finding happened to me more often
> than not; so moving the logs out of usr into their own time-stamped dir made
> sense.

You're absolutely right. I often had this problem, too, but until
now I ignored that and just copied the logfiles manually to another
location.

I fully agree that it would be better if each build generated a new
logfile, without overwriting the old ones. And making the logs survive
a "make clean" is also an important point.

> 2) reducing the log size
> >    2a) verbose remove command at the end
> > [...]
> >        Could you explain in how far this is annoying for testing?
> >

> It's one of those ill-conceived micro-optimisations to save a few
> milliseconds on diff commands.

Okay, so let's forget that point. :-)

> >    2b) verbose unpack command at the beginning
> >
> >        [...] that "log prefix" makes it hard to find the
> >        initial ./configure command. [...]
>
> [...] I like to get to ./configure immediately.

Agreed.

So here's my second proposal:

    A) Move the installation markers into a sub folder:

            usr/installed-PKG  ->  usr/installed/PKG

    B) Move the log files into a separate folder and add a timestamp:

            usr/log-PKG        ->  log/PKG-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`

    C) Unpack archives quietly:

            tar xv  ->  tar x
            unzip   ->  unzip -q

What do you think about it? Would that address all of your issues?

Greets,

Volker Grabsch
Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR