Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Makefiles changes to help testing

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Makefiles changes to help testing
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:39:32 +0100

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> I've made some small changes in the Makefile to put the log* and
> installed* files in their own directories, move the logs out of usr,
> and reduce the log size. This is mostly helpful for testing, but might
> be generally useful.

I think this needs more discussion. I like the idea of moving log*
and installed* into separate sub directories, but I'm unsure of the
other proposals. In particular, I prefer to improve the defaults
rather than adding more variables and options.

1) moving logs out of usr

    What is the purpose of that? In how far does it help testing?

    If it's about saving disk space in usr/, there is already
    "make strip" which strips the libraries, binaries and removes
    much useless stuff from usr/, including the log files.

2) reducing the log size

    This is mainly about the unpack command at the beginning, and
    the last remove command at the end. These can clutter the interesting
    stuff in between.

    2a) verbose remove command at the end

        This command provides valuable information. It shows
        exactly which files were generated by the build. In
        addition, you usually don't see that during testing,
        because when the build fails at any point, nothing will
        be removed, which allows for further investigation within
        the tmp-PKG/ folder.

        Could you explain in how far this is annoying for testing?

    2b) verbose unpack command at the beginning

        Here I see your point, as the verbosity doesn't add much
        information. You get exactly the same information by
        looking into the source tarball (e.g. with "mc" or "tar -tf").
        In addition, that "log prefix" makes it hard to find the
        initial ./configure command.

        (... although it can be easily found by performing a search for
         "./configure" or "\./configure", which is what I usually do.)

Maybe our testing workflows differ at some important point,
so it would be interesting to know why you find the points
1) and 2a) so annoying.

For now, I propose the following changes:

    A) Move the installation markers and log files into sub folders:

            usr/installed-PKG  ->  usr/installed/PKG
            usr/log-PKG        ->  usr/log/PKG

    B) Unpack archives quietly:

            tar xv  ->  tar x
            unzip   ->  unzip -q

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, i.e. if this isn't going
far enough for some reason.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch
Administrator