mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] HyperDev

From: snarf
Subject: Re: [Userops] HyperDev
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 00:30:01 -0400

(LIST MODERATOR: I replied with the wrong from address and those messages are awaiting moderation; you can drop those.)

I haven't even tried it out yet, but the name Fog Creek jumps out at me.

In their FogBugz software, they used to have their own implementation of a scripting language that compiles down to VB6 or _vbscript_ for Classic ASP -- because clients were running on IIS, and the features of the Classic ASP's target language were insufficient for Fog Creek's needs.

In Kiln, they have implemented a LIVE bridge between a Git repo and a Mercurial repo running side-by-side. All writes you make to one repo get mirrored silently to the other. (Available in hosted Kiln only, not in Kiln for your local server.) Why? Because some developers grew up on Kiln using Mercurial format, and all the new kiddies want Git; Fog Creek wants to give them both.

Fog Creek does crazy heroic things. :^) It might be a lot of work to rebuild whatever they did with Hyperdev, as libre software.

Brendan Kidwell