mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Userops Acid Test v0.1

From: Alex Jordan
Subject: Re: [Userops] Userops Acid Test v0.1
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 11:33:58 -0700

I replied to this on the Pumpiverse[1], but I figured everyone on here
might be interested in bikeshedding:

Christopher said (replies inline):

> I'm really interested in making sure people are able to keep their
> data, though I have two ponderings on this:
>
> * If you are running your own system (or one for family and friends)
> and have the data reproducibility requirement fulfilled, can't you just
> move your data reasonably easily? I think "data liberation" might be
> more for instances where someone is running something for you

I assume by "data reproducibility" you're referring to the "recoverable
data" section? I think that gets us 90% of the way there. The
infrastructure should already be in place, so the interface would just
need some sort of "export" option.

The main use case I see for this is moving between different userops
systems (i.e. different implementations).

> * up until now, "data liberation" is such an application-by-application
> process, I can't think of any way to generalize it as a system...

I can imagine a system that contained hooks for data liberation, either
for the application or the packaging to consume. Again, most of the
infrastructure needed for this _should_ be in place for the backup
system, right?

 [1]: https://pump.strugee.net/alex/comment/akDrOqEeSKGL9sOIyYx24w