mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Antonio Terceiro's DebConf talk on packaging free software

From: Antonio Terceiro
Subject: Re: [Userops] Antonio Terceiro's DebConf talk on packaging free software web applications
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 10:58:42 -0300

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:22:53AM -0700, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> I was super impressed by this talk.

Thank you (and Christopher) for the feedback.

> One thing I realized today, a few days after seeing the talk (on Saturday)
> is:
>
> I wonder if a lot of the config can be done, rather than by chef scripts
> mutating files on-disk, by passing environment variables to the app. That
> way, hopefully, the environment variables can store site-specific details,
> similar to how Heroku describes "12 factor apps": http://12factor.net/
>
> If that's unclear, let me know and I can try to say more. I'm curious what
> you think, Antonio.

I think we will always need to generate config files in some way or
another, because even if the applications do use environment variables
for configuration, we will still need to configure the web server (or
systemd unit files etc), to actuallty pass those environment variables
in.

--
Antonio Terceiro <address@hidden>