mediagoblin-devel

Failed install - jinja2 dep

From: Alex King
Subject: Failed install - jinja2 dep
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 08:19:51 +1300

Hi,

I see in the list archives that a dep issue regarding Jinja2 is a known problem.  I ran into this, see below for details.

I'd like to install an instance, and I'm willing to help out to get things in shape so I can do that.  I'm a long-time linux sysadmin (happy to help with infra) and also somewhat familiar with Python (happy to test, troubleshoot and send patches).  Let me know if there is any useful way I can contribute.

I'm also interested in Sandstorm, and there is a little activity in the Sandstorm community lately, and I'd like to see a more recent version of GMG packaged for Sandstorm. (As I have a sandstorm instance and that would be a good way for me to get GMG installed, as well as an easy way for others to install.)

Thanks,
Alex

P.S. I tried installing mediagoblin on my Debian 11 system, but it failed with "

error: Jinja2 2.11.3 is installed but Jinja2>=3.0 is required by {'sphinx'}
make: *** [Makefile:124: bin/python] Error 1

Then I thought "Jinja2 is probably installed as a deb, and it needs a later one, so I ran:

source bin/activate
pip install --ignore-installed Jinja2

Which failed with:

ERROR: pip's dependency resolver does not currently take into account all the packages that are installed. This behaviour is the source of the following dependency conflicts. mediagoblin 0.12.0 requires jinja2<3.0.0, but you have jinja2 3.1.2 which is incompatible.

I thought there might be a chance it could work with 3.1.2, and indeed a second run of "make" seemed to finish stuff.  But then on ./bin/gmg dbupdate:

pkg_resources.ContextualVersionConflict: (Jinja2 3.1.2 (/srv/media.king.net.nz/mediagoblin/lib/python3.9/site-packages), Requirement.parse('jinja2<3.0.0'), {'mediagoblin'})

Looks like things are not going to work that easily.  Perhaps I can try to specify to install an older version of sphinx?