Re: Error with make 3.79 on Windows XP

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Error with make 3.79 on Windows XP
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:16:47 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:02:05 +0530
>
> Thanks for you reply, Actually I tried with 3.81 also, it gives same error.
>
> The error is seen in mkdir, but actually it's due to following list of
> files which were supposed to
> be copied after mkdir command in the newly created directory

Sorry, I don't understand.  Your original report clearly shows that
the mkdir command failed:

    mkdir -p
    z:/gui/8.0.0/Windows_NT_32bit/opt/classes/com/versant/vfc/general/images
    process_begin: CreateProcess(E:\PROGRA~1\MKSTOO~1\mksnt\mkdir.exe, mkdir -p
    z:/gui/8.0.0/Windows_NT_32bit/opt/classes/com/versant/vfc/general/images,
...)
     failed.
    make (e=234): More data is available.

Are you saying that the command line that began with "mkdir -p" went
on to copy the long list of files, all on the same command line?  If
not, where does the file copying come into play?

Could you please show the relevant portion(s) of your Makefile, so the
problem could be better understood?

Anyway, the Windows CreateProcess API is documented to have a limit of
32K characters for the command line.  If the command line you are
passing is longer than that, then you are just hitting an OS limit.
Same goes for the size of the environment.