make-trouble from a newb: To hell with shell

From: Uffze
Subject: make-trouble from a newb: To hell with shell
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:05:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

first of all: I am quite new to make, so please be patient.

I am trying to port an existing gnu makefile from avr to dspic.
I am using make (v 3.81, native w32 application; i am not using cygwin) from
the Windows distribution of avr-gcc (WinAVR).
make starts the compiler and linker without a problem. But some other tools
can't be found/started. Using the -d option I found out that some of the
tools are started directly by CreateProcess. The tools that can't be found
are started indirectly with sh.exe.

e.g.
(excerpt from makefile)
%.o: %.c
        @echo
        @echo $(MSG_COMPILING) $<
        $(CC) -c $(ALL_CFLAGS) $< -o $@

--> The Compiler is called directly; make -d shows something like
CreateProcess(c:\......\pic30-gcc.exe, pic30-gcc ....)
The compiler is found and me and make are pleased.

Another line in my makefile says
%.lss: %.cof
        @echo
        @echo $(MSG_EXTENDED_LISTING) $@
        $(OBJDUMP) -h -S $< > $@
-->C-Compiler is called INdirectly using sh.exe; make -d shows something
like
CreateProcess(c:\......\sh.exe, c:/Programme/.../sh.exe -c "pic30-objdump
...",...)
The compiler is NOT found and make exits with a cold "/usr/bin/sh":
pic30-gcc: command not found.

I don't have a clue why on some lines make starts the tools directly (so
they work), while on other lines the tools are started via the gnu shell
(which uses different paths than window and results in the fact that they
can't be found).

Please help!

Regards,
Uffze