Re: Make on XP - shell selection?

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: Make on XP - shell selection?
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:37:15 -0400

Quoting Yongwei Wu <address@hidden>:

On 21/10/2007, grischka <address@hidden> wrote:
We can initialize SHELL either fixed to COMSPEC, or fixed to "sh",
optionally from the environment (SHELL or MAKESHELL), or based on PATH
search as currently (which I think is evil, though).

As 'default shell' on windows is a political question, I can only
vote. I think a good compromise is COMSPEC as default, and MAKESHELL
from the environment if set. It means dependency on environment too,
but at least if you set it you know you have set it, and it does not
change if you change PATH. So there is less surprise.

I like this idea: mysteriously changing the behaviour of a Makefile
because of a sh.exe somewhere in the path was a surprise to me.  If
one does want sh, set SHELL or MAKESHELL.  If neither of them is
present, COMSPEC is a good guess.

I agree that COMSPEC is the Windows equivalent to SHELL. I disagree with the introduction of MAKESHELL but do agree that SHELL should have precedence over COMSPEC.

Earnie