Re: Switching from CVS to GIT

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: Switching from CVS to GIT
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:10:05 +0200

Context: GNU make seems to be willing to switch from CVS to ... something else.

On Oct 14, 2007, at 6:57 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

[...] the big thing no one else seems to have addressed much in
other discussions I've seen is portability.  It LOOKS like there are
native ports of GIT to MINGW, but I have no idea how complete and usable
they are.  If someone who has a Windows system could look into that it
would be a big help.

I think the best thing to do is to ask directly on the Git ML.

Someone already pointed out that he'd like to use Git on Windows but doesn't want to install either Cygwin or MSYS. Is this possible, or will it be possible in the near future? Is it possible to use one of the various GUIs (git-gui, gitk, qgit) on Windows without requiring a POSIXish shell etc.?

When will the librarification of Git be finished? (if Git is available as a library, and if this library works on Windows, it will greatly help truly native Windows ports).

Not that I like Windows in any way, right, but it's legitimate for people working on Windows ports of various software to be willing to have a truly native port of Git for Windows.

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory