Re: Switching from CVS to GIT

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Switching from CVS to GIT
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:20:37 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Benoit SIGOURE wrote:

> Context: GNU make seems to be willing to switch from CVS to ...
> something else.
>
> On Oct 14, 2007, at 6:57 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
>
> > [...] the big thing no one else seems to have addressed much in other
> > discussions I've seen is portability.  It LOOKS like there are native
> > ports of GIT to MINGW, but I have no idea how complete and usable they
> > are.  If someone who has a Windows system could look into that it
> > would be a big help.

There is msysGit.  This project is nearing to its first beta, being
self-hosted since mid-August IIRC.

It is a port of Git to MinGW, using parts of MSys as long as we have
dependencies on bash and perl.

I have no doubt that we'll manage to finish version 0.3 of the installer
this week, still not decided if it is still alpha or already beta.

There are some issues with using msysGit, none of them really serious, but
you better be ready to ask questions on this list or #git in case
something crops up.  msysGit is young.

Having said that, IMHO msysGit is already quite usable, and should be
pretty stable within a few weeks (if it is not already).

Ciao,
Dscho