Re: Problems with echo. (echo period)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problems with echo. (echo period)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:23:17 +0300

> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:14:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Aaron Shatters <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I suppose the "feature" that is missing is the ability to run shell commands
> as they are defined by the shell that will be running the shell commands.
> Furthermore, the ability to more easily port our numerous makefiles to use
> gnu make without having to jump through hoops because gnu make doesn't fully
> support the shell that comes stock with all of our developers computers...
> cmd.exe.

??? I'm confused: when cmd.exe is the shell, the `echo' command
behaves _exactly_ like cmd's built-in `echo'.  In particular, if you
type "echo" from the cmd command line, you will see exactly the same
result ("echo is On") as what you see when the same command is run
from a Makefile.  So GNU Make does, in fact, support the stock Windows
shell, in that it runs shell commands as they are defined by the shell
you are using.

What am I missing?