RE: Problems with echo. (echo period)

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: Problems with echo. (echo period)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 01:21:35 +0100

On 18 April 2007 23:39, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 00:32:04 +0200
>> From: Benoit Sigoure <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Aaron Shatters <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>>
>> C:\cygwin\home\build>echo""
>> echo""
>>

>> C:\cygwin\home\build>echo ""
>> echo ""
>> ""
>>
>> C:\cygwin\home\build>
>>
>> (Notice the extra empty-line... weird)
>
> It's not weird, it's how `echo' in cmd.exe works.

  It doesn't normally print the word "echo", though.  There's something else
going on here that's repeating the input line before executing it.

>> Then, I tried to run 'Start>Execute>cmd' from a VNC session and this time,
>> the 'echo""' thing did not work.
>>
>> I can't explain this behavior however.
>
> Neither can I.

  I can.

  Benoit, you have CYGWIN=tty set in your environment.

  Don't try and launch win32 native programs (e.g., cmd.exe) from a cygwin
console using CYGWIN=tty, as the win32 native program gets very seriously
confused to find its stdin and stdout connected to pipes instead of to a
console.

    cheers,
      DaveK