Dependency generation

From: Leeuwesteijn,Joost
Subject: Dependency generation
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:20:38 +0200

Hi all,

My first make-w32 post :-) Build environments, especially on Windows, can be
quite a challenge :-)

I've been searching like crazy but does anybody know of any good ASNI C
.c/.h dependency tools (makedepend) for Windows? Preferably with C/C++
source and no dependencies on perl/python/tcl/libs/etc.

This is what I've found so far:
    http://llg.cubic.org/docs/vc7.html#makedepend
    http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/makedep.html
    http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~np2/software/mkdepend.html (TCL)
    http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/util/makedepend/ (Unix)
    makedep2.exe, can't find the url :-/
    and some old executable-only DOS tools or no support for #define's

The cubic.org makedepend seems to be the most complete tool, a port of the
X.org makedepend.

I already have a makefile structure which I'm proud of (more on that in the
help-make list later) and now I want to add dependency generation.

In an ideal world: one tool that checks one or more (.c) files and outputs
the exact (gnu) makefile lines, without sed, etc handling. A .c file in
(+CPPFLAGS), .P file out. (I'm looking at Paul D. Smiths Auto-Dependency
Generation document, which uses .P files.)

Unfortunatly our (cross) compiler does not support the generation of
dependency information (like -M with gcc?). It does have a
'preprocessor-output-only' option (#line "...", etc with some extra syntax)
but that requires some handling (external tools like sed); I still have to
look into this.

Dependencies seem like a standard issue but the standard tools are hard to
find :-) If anybody has any useful tips, please let me know.

Regards,
Joost Leeuwesteijn