Re: [bug #16362] Regression: make -n causes $(shell) failure on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [bug #16362] Regression: make -n causes $(shell) failure on Windows
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:30:04 +0300

> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:42:39 +0000
> From: anonymous <address@hidden>
>
> 1. Revert the patch so that batch files are always created, even with -n, and
> then add code to delete the files explicitly for the -n case around line 1125
> of job.c.
>
> 2. Add an extra calling parameter to "construct_command_argv" to indicate
> whether the command will eventually be executed and so whether the batch file
> should be created (flag would be always true for the invocation via the
> "shell" function and conditional on -n otherwise).
>
> 3. Infer the type of call (shell function invocation vs. rule command
> invocation) from the values of the parameters and condition batch file
> creation on that and -n.
>
> I'm not crazy about (3), and I'm not sure which of the other two, if either,
> you'd find preferable.  Also, I believe I've seen mention that job.c is
> undergoing renovations currently, so I'm loathe to select a repair method
> without advice.

I see an easy, although not very elegant, band-aid: Temporarily turn
off just_print_flag inside func_shell, since $(shell) is supposed to
run the subsidiary process even under -n.  (Alternatively, we could
use some other global variable, but that's even less clean.)

Paul, will that DTRT?  That is, is it okay to disregard
just_print_flag inside func_shell, or could this cause trouble in some
situations?