Re: make-3.81-rc1 build error, msys 1.0.11, seg fault

From: Matt England
Subject: Re: make-3.81-rc1 build error, msys 1.0.11, seg fault
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 23:27:01 -0600

At 3/6/2006 06:58 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
Quoting Matt England <address@hidden>:

Good call. I was using an updated (something like 2.05b*) flavor of sh.exe for msys...and when I downgraded it back to 2.04.0(1) stuff, no more make-3.81rc1 ./configure problems. :)

Matt, you might want to download the bash source and fix it then submit a patch to the MinGW SF Patch tracker. The reason a snapshot exists is for others to take a look at making it work.

Hi Earnie,

Yes, I would like to do my part to contribute to a community that already contributes so much stuff to me and my project's efforts.

Alas, I'm running a project of my own that we plan to be taking to the open-source community soon, and my time is really focused on that. (I am unable to talk about specifics until we get all our ducks in a row for the release.) We tend to, admittedly selfishly so, focus on the integration and bug-fixing in our embedded, external, open-source modules that absolutely need to be fixed for our solution to work. As of right now, the apparent bash 2.05b bug does not appear to be a problem we need to fix right now to move forward.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping the project we deliver to the open-source "community" may prove useful to others in the same way that the dozens of open-source projects (including mingw/msys, make, postgresql, and on and on) have proved enormously useful to us.

In any case, I hope to be able to contribute more to other projects after my own project stabilizes. This may not be for some time, as in months or maybe years, but I will try to squeeze in contributions where I or my team can.

-Matt