Re: make-3.81rc1 mingw not failing on 'g++ -M' error

From: Matt England
Subject: Re: make-3.81rc1 mingw not failing on 'g++ -M' error
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 23:07:29 -0600

At 3/8/2006 04:05 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that's exactly what I
> provided.

No, you provided a rule whose commands were actually a single shell
command.

...and the problem is?

My point is that this issue exhibits the errors I'm looking to fix. I'm not sure what "single shell command" vs. something else ("multiple shell commands?") have to do with this; make multiple shell commands in the rule if you want, the same problem happens: 'g++ -M' errors don't cause the make process to stop.

In any case...

Greg and I were able to duplicate the problems and able to get a lot of good analysis from the logs and Makefiles found at the following links (which both contain the same stuff; one comes inlined in the email, the other comes as an attachment):

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-w32/2006-03/msg00014.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-w32/2006-03/msg00026.html

Further, the results after Greg's tests tell me a lot of stuff, too:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-w32/2006-03/msg00041.html

For now, I plan on taking up this discussion with one of the mingw email lists to find out more about Earnie's suspicion described here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-w32/2006-03/msg00028.html

> In any case, I do plan to help you guys as much as possible to help me (and
> I very much appreciate this) as soon as I waddle through the Debian mingw
> cross compile, which seems to get much farther then my
> mingw-native-on-windows builds thus far.

Well, if you plan to abandon the native Windows build and instead opt
for the cross-compilation solution, please tell that, so I won't spend
any more time on trying to solve this riddle.

I'm not abandoning, just trying to get some solution working quickly that I can rely on, and Debian cross compiles look like the way to go for the near term and possibly a longer-term alternative. In any case, it's quite important that I solve this build-my-project's-software-via-mingw-msys-make-natively-on-windows at some point, so any sort of work on this process is in no way wasted, at least not for me.

For what it's worth, Eli, I'm getting quality feedback from Earnie and Greg, so at this point it looks like I may not need much other support at this time, and I want to be very sensitive to not wasting your time. Further, I plan on taking up this discussion further with some of the mingw folks, as mentioned above.

Best regards,
-Matt