Re: make'ing make-3.18beta4 under mingw/msys - "undefined referenceto `s

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make'ing make-3.18beta4 under mingw/msys - "undefined referenceto `sleep'"
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 03:17:08 -0500

%% KJKHyperion <address@hidden> writes:

  k> all of them, with the possible exclusion of the change to sh_chars_dos
  k> (IIRC that controls which strings need to be quoted, but I'm not 100%
  k> sure. If that's true, the change is correct and needed).

No; the sh_chars_dos string controls whether GNU make runs the command
script using the "fast path" or the "slow path".

If GNU make can determine that the command to be invoked is "simple
enough" to not require any shell facilities, it will use the fast path:
that is, instead of invoking the shell and asking the shell to run the
command, it will simply invoke the command directly, bypassing the
shell.

GNU make determines whether the command is "simple enough" to use the
fast path by checking the command for any characters in this string; if
any are found then the command is deemed too complex and the slow path
is taken, passing the command to the shell.  If none of those characters
is present, then GNU make will use the fast path.