RE: Shell commands in makefile not working (running Windows XP)

From: Matt Lavoie
Subject: RE: Shell commands in makefile not working (running Windows XP)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:17:53 -0700

I'm actually working on a related problem at the moment.  I haven't tried to get it to expand an environment variable in the SHELL command -- I just put in the full path.

MAKESHELL = C:\windows\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe
SHELL = C:\windows\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe
I first tried setting MAKESHELL (as per docs) but it did not override?

[I'm trying to run gnumake under cygwin with makefiles that work if you invoke things from a cmd.exe shell, or from a cygwin shell.]

The issue I'm encountering at the moment is that gnumake is creating a process in this way:

gmake.exe: Entering directory `c:/sw/nvr50/drivers/ddraw'
CreateProcess(C:\windows\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe,C:/windows/SYSTEM32/cmd.exe -c "c:/sw/tools/win32/MiscBuildTools/nvutil-101 -echo \"====================\"",...)

Issuing this from the command line directly I find that cmd.exe (on winxp) is senstive to /C versus -c  (*sigh*).  Anyone know if there is a way to get gmake to change that option via some var?