Re: Shell commands in makefile not working (running Windows XP)

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: Shell commands in makefile not working (running Windows XP)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:35:50 -0400

Make sure that sh.exe isn't in your PATH. The Win32 version will use it regardless if it finds it.

Earnie.

Scott Merz wrote:
Hello everyone

-8<-
that command should populate srcFiles with a series of space delimited
filenames (since the description of shell in GNU make says that when using
shell, all carriage returns and end of line characters are converted to
spaces). However, subsequent echo calls show that srcFiles remains EMPTY,
thus the shell call is not working. Another thing, even though there is no
SHELL environment variable, 'make' sets it to sh.exe. Even if I call make
with the "-e" argument (which ignores environmental variables) and override
SHELL=%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe, echoing $(SHELL) still brings up
sh.exe. This is very confusing, and I have tried everything I can think of,
and am stuck at the following avenues to place blame:

1.      SHELL=sh.exe
2.      Windows XP Command Shell
3.      MS-DOS in General