Re: Makefile Generator

From: Steve deRosier
Subject: Re: Makefile Generator
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:32:48 -0700

Kris,

You might want to look into the Wine project. I'm not intimately familiar with it myself, but from something I read recently I believe it might help. It has a library that you can actually link to that maps the Win API. Supposedly it lets you compile Windows programs (using GCC) to then run natively on Linux, without having to run it under Wine itself.

Though you'll probably have to write your own makefiles, I vaguely remember VC++ actually produces a text makefile if you tell it to. That should be hand editable into something gnu make can deal with. But it's been a while since I've used VC++ so your millage may vary.

- Steve

  kris wrote:
Thanks Paul,

The tool what i have in my mind is which functions opposite the way how microsoft SFU (services for unix) works. Means, is there any tool which allows to compile & build windows applications in Linux environment or any tool which allows to convert windows applications to linux buildable applications (using GNU toolchain).

Thanks

Kris

PS: Please reply to the same mail-id as i am not a regular subscriber of this mailing list.

%% "  kris" <address@hidden> writes:

  k> * Is there any tool which can generate GNU Makefiles automatically?
  k>   if so, which is that tool and what is the input file to this tool?

What kind of tool did you have in mind?  GNU make reads all standard
POSIX makefiles, and there are a number of tools that generate those
kinds of makefiles.  One example is GNU automake.

  k> * Is there any tool which converts the windows makefile to GNU
  k>   makefile?

I don't believe so; in fact there is a request on the Savannah page for
such a thing that has received no responses.  However, you want to ask
this on the address@hidden mailing list for best results: people
familiar with GNU make on Windows/DOS/etc. hang out there.