mailman

Re: Replying to a Thread

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Replying to a Thread
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 00:59:38 -0600

Greg Smith wrote:
> I'm also running Outlook 2013 for Windows, as that's our mail client
> here at work.  (Which makes it hard to reply inline to your comments
> when in "plain text mode".)

I have used Outlook in the corporate setting before.  I am so very
happy that I don't need to do that for my personal correspondence!

> What I just saw was that the digest contains attachments of all the
> messages back and forth.  I can open one of those and then reply
> that way from Outlook.  That will actually work just fine.

Oh!  If that works then I won't complain about it.

> Ideally, if it were possible (for lwip-users, anyway), I'd like to
> subscribe just to threads that I've created or replied to.  Most of
> the rest is just curiosity so I can keep current on things; but I
> don't want my Inbox filled up with ancillary bulk.  (The devel list
> I only want digested because I will probably rarely or never reply
> to a particular thread, but I'd like to know what's going on so I
> can decide if I want a new version or not.)

You might find reading the list from Gmane the most attractive.

  http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.lwip.general

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.lwip.devel/

> Is there a way to subscribe to just individual threads instead of
> the whole list?

Unfortunately there are no such features of the mailing list software
Mailman used here.  I also don't know of any other list software with
that capability either.

The usual way people like me deal with this on the mailing lists is by
using a smart email client.  My personal preference is mutt.  It has
many features for efficiently handling a lot of email.  But it isn't
for everyone.  I recommend giving the Gmane web interface a try.  You
might like it.

> Again, thank you for your very quick reply.  I think I am up and
> running now and look forward to productive discussion on the
> relevant lists!

Good Luck and Happy Hacking!

Bob