m4-discuss

Re: Request to reinstate project: m4-1.4.18b.pot

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Request to reinstate project: m4-1.4.18b.pot
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 10:35:40 +0200

Hello Eric,

Op 08-05-2021 om 12:53 schreef Eric Blake:
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/m4/m4-1.4.18b.tar.xz
> [...]
>
> Given comments at [3], I may still need to make some tweaks to what
> strings are offered for translations between now and 1.4.19, but we've
> got to start somewhere, and I want to get 1.4.19 out the door this month.
>
> [3] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-m4/2021-03/msg00006.html

Before reinstating m4, I would like to see all of the translatable strings
gettextized.  Of the main help text, only the "Limits control" fragment is
gettextized.  Also, to make translation easier, it will be best to split
the help text into smaller pieces: one option, one header, one paragraph
per gettextized string, and preferably use a separate fputs() for the lone
newlines (the blank lines), ungettextized.

When I run 'grep -A1 M4ERROR src/*.c', there are nearly a hundred error
messages that are not yet gettextized.  A bunch of them are internal errors,
so maybe those have been left ungettextized on purpose?  Grepping for
'm4_failure' finds another twenty ungettextized strings.

When m4 gets reinstated at the TP, how long after that will it take for
another release of m4?  I ask, because the last releases were something
like three to four years apart.  It's not nice to make translators wait
several years before their work finally appears in a release.

Benno