m4-discuss

Request to reinstate project: m4-1.4.18b.pot

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Request to reinstate project: m4-1.4.18b.pot
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 05:53:22 -0500

The following beta release includes a new m4.pot, where we would like to
reinstate the m4 translation domain with disclaimers required (since FSF
owns M4 copyright):

file m4-1.4.18b/po/m4.pot within
https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/m4/m4-1.4.18b.tar.xz
announced at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/m4-discuss/2021-05/msg00001.html

Notice of translations can be sent to m4-patches@gnu.org; a mere URL of
the available translation would be sufficient (no need to send
translations themselves, since m4's bootstrap is designed to download
the .po files prior to release, the list posts are just a courtesy
rather than a patch to be applied manually).

See also [1], where the m4 package was removed, because at the time
there had never been a released build of m4 that used m4.pot.  More than
10 years ago, when m4.pot was first uploaded, it was for a version
number 1.9.x in preparation for an experimental 2.0 release; that
release is nowhere near close, but in the meantime, the stable branch
for m4 1.4.x has finally enabled the use of translations [2].  The set
of strings for 1.9.x are probably dissimilar enough from 1.4.18b that it
is not worth trying to revive the old translations, rather, you can
treat this request as a new project, even if you are able to reinstate
the m4 package name (and if you must pick a different package name, I
need to know, as that will introduce its own wrinkles into how m4's
bootstrap script downloads available .po files).

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-m4/2021-03/msg00002.html
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=m4.git;a=commit;h=610290de87f

Given comments at [3], I may still need to make some tweaks to what
strings are offered for translations between now and 1.4.19, but we've
got to start somewhere, and I want to get 1.4.19 out the door this month.

[3] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-m4/2021-03/msg00006.html

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226