lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx access to gmail accounts

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx access to gmail accounts
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 00:54:18 +0000

On 18/11/2021 00:37, Karen Lewellen wrote:
the basic html webpage for gmail

The modern trend would be that there is no such thing available to display. Typically there will be a JSON file containing the the list of messages, and an HTML 5 web application that reads that file and dynamically creates a document object model in the browser, which the browser then renders.

I don't know that that is the case for gmail. However, it is certainly the way that ancestry.co.uk and nextdoor.co.uk work for normal users. I haven't tried these without scripting, so I can't say for certain that they don't have a fall back mode, but I'd be surprised. Both of these examples actually put the page together from a large number of JSON files, which often contain more information than is actually rendered, in any one page, or which is rendered with the less than the available detail (e.g. Nextdoor has exact posting times, but only displays approximate ones, with less detail the further in the past).

HTML 5 was specified by a breakaway group, called WHATWG. The A stands for applications. Modern big player web pages are programs that run in the browser, not documents. That probably applies to the page creation services marketed to people who want a page for their business, but don't want to know how to write one.