lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Ssl certificate error

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Ssl certificate error
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 18:30:36 +0100

On 12/09/2021 18:02, dan d. wrote:
SSL error:certificate has expired-Continue? (n)

I would take that at face value, and assume that it is the site's certificate that has expired. In that case, the secure solution is not to access that site until the site has updated its certificate.

Certificates expire because cryptographic advances can compromise them and because, the longer a single private key is used, the more opportunity there is for someone to crack it.

If I'm right about it being a problem for the site, rather than for Lynx, you need to make a judgement as to how concerned you would be if someone had access to the contents of your session with the site, and whether you are making critical decisions based on the site providing the correct data. If these cause significant concern, you should not override the warning. If you don't care, you can safely override, but I don't think there is a way of registering a permanent override.